This year’s version of the All-Crossroads football team is the most versatile — both offensively and defensively — all-area unit put together in recent memory.
With the way the team is put together offensively it could have the traditional lineup of two running backs, two wide receivers and a tight end, or could go with a one-back set and three wideouts, or perhaps even an empty backfield. Defensively the team could run a traditional 4-3-4, or go with a 3-4-4, a 4-4-3, or even a 3-5-3.
The 27-player team is made up of 10 Winona Tigers, seven each from Winona Christian School and Carroll Academy, and three from J.Z. George.
The players were nominated by their coaches, while all selections were made by Winona Times/The Conservative sports editor Austin Bishop, with the help of staff writers, Laurence Hilliard, Robbie Robertson, and Calvin Stevens.
Thirty-nine athletes were honored, as the 12 players who did not make the first team but were nominated by their coaches for consideration, were named as honorable mentions.
Here is a position-by-position breakdown of the 2019 All-Crossroads Football Team:
• QB, MORGAN MIMS, Carroll Academy: Mims had an amazing offensive season for the Rebels, rushing for 2,024 yards and scoring 28 touchdowns. The senior also passed for 498 yards and six scores and had 300 return yards and another score. He was the 2019 District MVP, while being MHSAA 3A Co-Offensive Player of the Year and playing in the 2019 MAIS All-Star Game.
• RB, DERIAUN TOWNSEND, J.Z. George: The 5-foot-10, 210-pound sophomore rushed for 1,442 yards and 11 touchdowns for the Jaguars on 179 attempts, while also catching six passes. He was named to the Region 2-2A Super 25 team.
• RB, DALTON WIGGINS, Winona Christian: The 5-foot-11, 160-pound Wiggins provides the All-Crossroads team with a lot of versatility. He rushed for 855 yards and 10 touchdowns on just 111 carries, and also hauled in 56 passes for 837 yards and nine touchdowns. Defensively he recorded 23 tackles and picked off a pass.
• RB, HUNTER BRACKIN, Carroll Academy: The junior was off to an outstanding season before going down with an injury after just seven games. The All-Conference performer rushed for 633 yards on 95 carries and scored nine touchdowns, while also recording 20 tackles on defense
• WR, ROBERT MCMATH, Winona Christian: The 5-foot-8 Junior hauled in 63 passes for 14 touchdowns, while accumulating 973 receiving yards. He was named to the Region 3-3A Super 22 team and was second team MHSAA 3A All-State.
• WR, ADAVION HARGROVE, Winona: The 5-foot-9, 175-pound senior caught 25 passes for 540 yards and three scores and was named to the Region 3-3A Super 22 team.
• TE, REESE FULTON, Carroll Academy: The 6-foot-5, 230-pound senior was a blocking force for the Rebels, earning Co-Lineman MVP honors for the District and a place on the MAIS All-State team and a spot in the All-Star Game. He caught 11 passes for 113 yards. On defense he recorded 50 tackles from his linebacker spot, including five for a loss, while picking off two passes.
• OL, ANTHONY RICHARDSON, Winona: The senior was a key part of the Tigers offensive line, taking Region 3-3A Super 22 Honors.
• OL, DEVONTE BAYS, Winona: Another part of Winona High School’s stellar offensive line, the junior also claimed Region 3-3A Super 22 Honors.
• OL, COOPER BECK, Carroll Academy: The 6-foot-3, 260-pound junior helped produce and offensive attack that rushed for 4,000 yards, while on defense he recorded 40 tackles and recovered four fumbles. He was credited for eight tackles for a loss, including five sacks. He was named All-Star and All-Conference as offensive lineman.
• OL AUSTIN SMITH, Carroll Academy: Like Beck, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Smith was a starter on both the offensive and defensive lines for the Rebels. The Senior was named All-State offensive lineman, earned a spot in the 2019 All-Star game and was named All-Conference defensive lineman. He recorded 30 tackles and also intercepted a pass, returning it for a touchdown.
• OL COHLTON TRIPLETT, Winona: The 5-foot-11, 210-pound junior was named to the Region 3-3A First Team.
• PK CADE ELDRIDGE, Winona: The senior connected on 47-of-50 point after attempts and was named to the Region 3-3A Super 22 Team.
• ATHLETE AN’DARIUS COFFEY, Winona: The 6-foot, 181-pound senior quarterback could have played virtually any of the skill positions on the All-Crossroads team. The MHSAA Class 3A Offensive Player of the Year passed for 2,064 yards and 23 touchdowns, while rushing for 1,665 yards and scored 25 touchdowns of his own. He made the Mississippi-Alabama All-Star Game as a defensive back, and is a highly sought after NCAA Division I recruit as a defensive back.
• ATHLETE, DADARIAN SMALL, Winona: The 5-foot-9, 160-pound junior exhibited his play-making skills for the Tigers this year by catching 22 passes for 353 yards and four touchdowns. He was named to the Region 3-3A Super 22 team as an athlete.
• DL, LATHAM HILL, Winona Christian: The junior recorded 66 tackles for the Stars, including a pair of sacks. As a tight end he had 11 catches for 135 yards and a touchdown.
• DL, THOMAS COSTILOW, Winona Christian: The 6-foot-4, 218-pound senior had 32 tackles and two sacks, and also rushed for 651 yards and 12 touchdowns as a running back.
• DL, SAVEON GROSS, Winona: The 5-foot-9, 440-pound senior caused trouble for opposing offenses, recorded 36 tackles, including four for a loss. He picked off a pass and recovered a fumble and was named to the Region 3-3A first team.
• DL, WIL’TAVIOUS WILLIAMS, J.Z. George: The 5-foot-9, 180 pound junior played both defensive end and outside linebacker for the Jaguars. He recorded 96 total tackles for JZG this season.
• LB, HAYDEN SELF, Winona Christian: The 6-foot, 194-pound junior, recorded 119 tackles, six of which were quarterback sacks.
• LB, BEN PINKARD, Winona Christian: The senior had a strong season, causing havoc for opponents with his 10 tackles behind the line of scrimmage as part of his 101 total tackles.
• LB, HOGAN COSTILOW, Carroll Academy: The 5-foot-11 senior started at both middle linebacker and offensive guard for the Rebels He recorded 50 tackles with four for a loss, while picking off two passes. He was named both All-State and All-Conference as a linebacker.
• LB, TEYSHAUN POINTER, Winona: The 5-foot-9, 175-pound senior led the Tigers in tackles with 52, including nine for a loss. He also picked off a pass and was named to the Region 3-3A first team.
• DB, D’ANTHONY MCGLOTHAN, J.Z. George: The 6-foot-2, 160-pounder recorded 100 tackles and was second team MAC Class 2A All-State as a strong safety. He was also named to the Region 2-2A Super 25 team.
• DB, LOGAN TAYLOR, Carroll Academy: The 5-foot-11, 165-pound senior recorded five interceptions and 50 tackles. He was an All-Conference and All-State defensive back and played in the 2019 MAIS All-Star Football Game.
• DB, CHOYCE DIFFEY, Winona Christian: The 6-foot-2, 181-pound senior, had a tremendous year for the Stars. Picking off 12 passes and making 48 tackles. Offensively he caught 40 passes for 954 yards and 12 touchdowns.
• DB, REED ROBERTS, Winona Christian: The senior was in on 52 tackles and had three pass interceptions.