Five of the 11 members of the 2019 All-Crossroads Baseball Team were also members of the team last season.
The team was chosen by the Winona Times/Carroll Conservative sports staff from nominations submitted by coaches from Winona High School, Winona Christian School, J.Z. George High School, and Carroll Academy.
Winona High School led the way with four players on the elite squad, while Winona Christian School was represented by three athletes. J.Z. George and Carroll Academy landed two players each on the team.
More than half of the team members, six, were seniors. There are also three juniors and two sophomores on the team which consists of four infielders, three outfielders, two pitchers, a catcher, and a designated hitter. Many of the athletes played multiple positions throughout the season.
Members of the team, listed in alphabetical order, are as follows:
• GARRETT ABLES, Winona High School, Sr.: The outstanding infielder played both short and third during the season as well as ripping a pair of homers, driving in 13 runs, and scoring 17.
• MICHAEL BANKSTON, J.Z. George, So.: The infielder/pitcher is one of the two sophomores on this year’s All-Crossroads team. He hit .310 with a homer and 11 RBIs, while also striking out 45 batters as a pitcher.
• TYLER BARFIELD, Winona High School, Jr.: The outfielder had an on-base percentage of .610, while scoring 16 runs and hitting .333.
• JON REUBEN CHESTEEN, Winona High School, Sr.: The senior hurler had a 4-2 record on the mound for the Tigers, including a crucial 4-3 complete game victory over Magee in the MHSAA Class 3A State Baseball Playoffs. He had a 3.80 ERA and recorded 54 strikeouts while allowing just 14 walks.
• DANE GREENLEE, Carroll Academy, Sr.: The outfielder/pitcher was one of five repeats off last year’s All-Crossroads team. The All-District selection was Carroll’s top hitter and pitcher this season.
• LATHAM HILL, Winona Christian, Jr.: The pitcher/infielder was stout on the mound for the Stars this season. Hill, who was also All-Crossroads last season, struck out 49 batters in 29.1 innings of work, posting a 3-1 record and a 1.43 ERA. At the plate he blasted five homers, scored 23 runs and knocked in 26.
• JACOB JOHNSON, J.Z. George, So.: The outfielder joins his teammate Bankston as the only two sophomores on this year’s All-Crossroads team. The elite baserunner stole 22 bases, while hitting .448 for the Jaguars.
• BLAKE MARLOW, Winona Christian, Sr.: The pitcher/catcher signed with Copiah-Lincoln Community College to continue his baseball career. He drove in 26 runs and scored 19 for the Stars, while going 4-3 on the mound with a 2.67 ERA. The All-District selection was also named MVP of the MAIS All-Star Game. He was a member of the All-Crossroads team last season as well.
• REED ROBERTS, Winona Christian, Sr.: The shortstop hit .444 this season, while smacking eight doubles and driving in 13 runs on the way to being chosen to the All-District team.
• MITCH STEWART, Winona High School, Jr.: The first baseman, also a repeat member of the All-Crossroads Team, ripped five doubles and two homers, while driving in 14 runs and scoring 16 for the Tigers.
• GAVIN WILTSHIRE, Carroll Academy, Sr.: The pitcher/catcher was a catcher on last year’s All-Crossroads Team. He was one of the Rebels’ most consistent hitters this season.