Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays! What a special time to spend with friends and family remembering all of the wonderful things each of us has to be thankful for this year.
And I thought it was a good time to “talk turkey,” so this year, I asked third graders from Montgomery County Elementary School how they would cook a turkey, and the responses varied widely. All of the responses below are typed as they were received, with no corrections, which makes it extra sweet!
• “Come to a Turkey party at my house. MoM will get a Turkey at a Thanksgiving Turkey store. We will was The Turkey and stuff it to bake in the stov. Turn The oven on medium so it want burn The Turkey. We eat delicious turkey when it is done.” Antwon Gooch
• “Buy a turkey clean a tukey cook a turkey in a oven but the tukey in a Pan eat the turkey.” Montavious Silas
• “I will go out in the wild hunting for and find a big fat turkey. I tak the fethrs off Wash it and Peppr and Put on the stove. It tates good. We eat it on thankgivng.” Marquise Shaw
• “First Buy the Turkey and clean the turkey. Then cook the turkey and the oven. You buy and clean turkey. You cook it in the oven. You eet the Turkey.” Matthew Lindsey
• “First brianstrom first you need by the turkey then bril it, Next you put oven then take out oven when done. You add fruits around it.” Alexis Allen
• “Step 1) first buy or hunt turkey, then put in the bowl or plasic. Step 2) put the turkey in the oven, then It took an hour to cook the turkey, so you had enough time to cook other thanksgiving food. Step 3) when your turkey is finsh cooking, you can feel the hot steaming and if you finsh the table, then put the turkey in the middle of the table Step 40 put Dressing in the turkey. Step 5) sometimes you hear it sizzing in the turkey. Step 6) eat turkey.” Maliya Frazier
• “Have your ever cook a turkey. First we go out and hunt one turkey. Second we clean off one turkey. Third we smoke one turkey. Four we put sesaning on one turkey. Five we eat the one turkey.” Jaedyn Acquah
• “You got to buy it. You got to clean it. You got to set the timer for it. You got to put it in the oven. You need put seasonings on it to make it good.” Brianna Bell
• “I go to the store to but a turkey and clean the turkey and put it in the ove for until 5 mitures and thin take it out of the ove and kut it and cook some green beans, mash potatons, chicken, rise broccoli.” Jeremih Greenlee
• “First, buy a turkey or kill. Next, wash Then Put it in the oven. Last, it ready to eat. Pull the yoak out of it. Season the turkey. My grandma bakes the turkey. Heat the oven up. Put it in a pan. Put it in the oven Cook until it is done. It takes 2 or 3 hours.”
• “First you get a turkey then you clean the turkey put the seseans on the turkey put the turkey in the even then check on the turkey and see if it is cooking ok then get the turkey out the even put more seaseans on turkey then put the turkey back in the even then get it out and eat it.” Kolby King
• “Buy a turkey get a cooking thmter sensing the turkey. Put the turkey in the oven after a little whilhe cheak on the turkey then cheak the thmter it is redey. Happy thanksgiveing.” Journee Robinson
• “First you have to kill a turkey then you have to get the feathers off him Next you have to clean it then you can cook it then you can eat it for you Dinner then when you are done you can wash your plates then you wash your hands the you maybe go to bed then in the morning.” Fred Alexander
• “First you guy the turkey from the store. Then clean the turkey cook the turkey let it sit in the oven for 3 oven when it done. Let it cool off. Then you eat it.” Jaterrius Easterwood
• “Step 1: hunt a turkey bring a turkey to your house. Step 2: Clean the turkey off and wash the turkey feathers and care the turkey feathers off and put the in the oven to 1/5 hours and Step 3: takes it out of the oven and call you family or your ferids to have a good with your siblings and have a good feast and it is good to feast.” Quenton Baskin
• “Have you ever cook a turkey. I haven’t but I’ll tell you how I think you cook turkey. First you hunt for the turkey. Then you get all the feathers off it. Then you check it for feathers. Next you put it in the oven. Last you eat it.” Avery Dotson
• “Have you ever made a turkey? Will if you have’nt I’ll teach you. First go out in hunt or go to Walmart once you find it then you wash you’r turkey. Next put like seasoning salt on the turkey spread it around with you’r hands. The put it in the pot/pan oven, frier, and grill leave it in there about 30-20 min. DON’T LEAVE IN THERE FOR A LONG TIME! You might get a big BURNT turkey. Lastly you talk to your family in a while your going to be able to smell the turkey wants you take it our of the oven or frier. Im sure your family can smell it to. I HOPE HAVE A HAPPY Thanksgiving!!” Rahnaii Holloway.
The kids all drew pictures at the bottom of their cooking essays, and let me just say, Rahnaii’s drawing was GREAT! She drew two girls by the oven with one girl saying “OMG its burnt” and the other girls saying, “I left it in the oven to long.” LOVE IT!