WINONA – The public is invited to attend Coffee with Cops on February 19, 2020, from 7 a.m. until 8 a.m. at Honest Abe’s Donuts and Deli in Winona.
Winona Chief of Police Tommy Bibbs said the event was organized by the Winona Police Department to allow citizens to get to know local law enforcement and pose questions or offer comments. In addition to officers from Winona Police Department, deputies from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department and Carroll County Sheriff’s Department, Montgomery County Constables, and troopers with the Mississippi Highway Patrol will be on hand to speak with citizens.
Bibbs reminded members of the Winona Board of Aldermen Tuesday night about the upcoming event and invited them to attend.
In other city business:
• Citizen Jimmy Forrest asked the board about water service in the City of Winona. Forrest said his water pressure is extremely low, and in the last two months, he has seen his bill increase $20.
Winona Mayor Jerry Flowers told Forrest about the city’s efforts to construct a new elevated water tower and dig a new water well in the northwestern part of the city to accommodate the commercial area at the Highway 82/Interstate 55 interchange as well as residents living in that area. However, the board is still working to secure funding for the $1.2 million project before construction begins.
As for the water bill, all of Winona’s water customers saw a rate increase in December, but with an additional increase in the Forrest’s bill in January, there could be a water leak. Flowers asked Water Superintendent Frank Faulkner to make sure a leak is not causing the increase.
Forrest also asked about the condition of Bluff Springs road, and if the city had any plans to repair pot holes that plague the street.
Flowers told Forrest that hot mix is not available at this time, but when it was available this summer, the city would make repairs to the road.
• The board approved a help wanted advertisement for part-time help at the Winona Recreational Park.
• The City of Winona is currently holding signups for youth soccer registration, for ages 4-12. Sign up days continue today from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Winona Recreational Park, and on Friday, February 7 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Winona City Hall. Cost is $45, and for those registering late, there will be a $25 late fee.
• The board agreed to purchase an aluminum bridge to cross a 56 foot ditch at the Winona Recreational Park that will conclude construction of the park’s walking track, constructed by a grant through Mississippi Wildlife Fisheries and Parks. City Clerk June Williams is getting the board additional information on the type of bridge the city needs.
• The board voted to hire Engineering Services to oversee the clock tower project.
• The board voted to use a CAP loan to make up the matching funds for U.S. Economic Development Administration grant in the water project on the northwest side of the city