Suspected shooter to appear in court Thursday


WINONA – A Greenwood man remains in critical condition after being shot multiple times at a Winona restaurant.

Taurice Johnson, 40, of Greenwood remains in intensive care at the University of Mississippi Medical Center after being shot four times while dining with his wife at Waffle House in Winona early Sunday morning.

A Winona man, Dakendric Adair, 28, has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault in connection with the shooting.

According to Captain Dan Herod, chief investigator for the Winona Police Department, Winona police officers were dispatched around 3:30 a.m. Sunday morning to Waffle House restaurant, located at 317 Old Highway 82 in Winona. 

He said when officers arrived, the victim was still on the scene and appeared to have been shot four times.  Herod said law enforcement interviewed him briefly at the scene before he was rushed away by paramedics.

“He was shot in the side, the leg, and had multiple gunshot wounds in the back,” Herod said.  “MedStat took him straight from Waffle House to the Holiday Inn [Express] where they landed the helicopter.  He was flown by helicopter to [University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson].”

Herod said the weapon used in the shooting appeared to be a .380 caliber handgun.  He said the gun has not been recovered by law enforcement.

“From our investigation, which included video surveillance, Dakendric Adair was identified as the shooter, and Judge [Donald] Bond issued a warrant for aggravated assault,” Herod said.

Adair was arrested around 9 a.m. Sunday morning at a residence on Hazel Circle in Winona, Herod said.

“We are still trying to determine a motive,” Herod said.  “There could be more arrests in this case.”

Adair is being held at the Carroll-Montgomery Regional Correctional Facility on a $500,000 bond. A preliminary hearing will be held on Thursday, October 10 in Winona City Court.

For more information on this story, please see Thursday’s edition of The Winona Times and The Conservative.


David Eugene Adams, 55, of Atoka, Tenn., died Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at his residence.