Weather Forecast

Murder suspect goes before judge
by Amanda Sexton Ferguson, Editor and Publisher
Jul 03, 2014 | 286 views | 0 0 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
WINONA – A local man will face a Montgomery County Grand Jury after being charged with the murder of a 21-year-old.

Eddie Octavious Green, 23, of Winona was bound over to the action of the grand jury by Judge Devo Lancaster in Winona City Court Tuesday after a short preliminary hearing. Green stands accused of the June 16 murder of Javon Johnson.

Johnson was shot on Campbell Street just west of the Cade Street intersection. He succumbed to his injuries on June 17 at University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

In Tuesday’s hearing, Green, who is in the custody of the Carroll-Montgomery Regional Correctional Facility, was represented by public defender Lee Bailey. Mark Steed, an agent with the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, was the lone witness in Tuesday’s hearing and testified on behalf of the prosecution.

According Steed’s testimony, the shooting stemmed from a fight in the street in front of 802 Campbell Street between two groups of individuals, C-Block and My Brother’s Keeper or MBK.

“The fight consisted of multiple parties, around six to eight people,” Steed said. “The physical altercation was between two, with 30 or so people around. At the conclusion of this fight, four or five gunshots were fired, and Mr. Johnson was shot.”

Steed said the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the upper left side of the head above the left eye.

Steed said he did not believe the altercation was a gang issue, but it did involve the two groups.

“These groups are made up of relatively young individuals, mostly talk, and their differences escalated up to this point,” Steed said. “Mr. Green is associated with MBK, Mr. Johnson with C-Block.”

Steed said the initial altercation occurred earlier in the day when a member of the C-Block group allegedly fired in the vicinity of someone associated with MBK.

That night, during the altercation on Campbell Street, Steed testified that the shots came from the northwest corner of Cade and Campbell Street, near an abandoned home located at 800 Campbell Street. He said he did not know if the shooter meant to shoot the victim, but he fired toward the group of people on the street.

“My initial opinion was that the gun was fired, and Mr. Johnson was just unlucky,” Steed said.

Steed said two witnesses at the scene identified Green as the shooter; both allegedly seeing Green pull the trigger. A third witness did not identify Green by name but identified his clothing. All three witnesses gave similar descriptions of Green’s clothing the night of the shooting, Steed said.

“One witness told us he saw the muzzle flash,” Steed said.

Steed testified that witnesses also said they saw Green flee the scene on foot. According to Steed’s testimony, Green allegedly went to two residences following the shooting, one near the scene and one in the Winona Housing Authority. Steed said a .380 caliber automatic handgun was recovered near the home in the Winona Housing Authority where Green supposedly visited the night of the murder. Steed testified that the weapon was “consistent with the one used.”

Investigators recovered four spent bullets from the shooting, three that penetrated the walls of a home near the scene of the shooting and one from the victim.

“The bullets appeared to be from a .380,” Steed said.

The handgun recovered from the Winona Housing Authority as well as several handguns collected in the course of the investigation are currently being tested at the Mississippi Crime Lab in Jackson.

Steed said investigators interviewed Green, and he admitted to being at the scene when the shots were fired and to wearing the clothing described by witnesses. However, he did not admit to shooting the victim.

Lancaster ruled that sufficient evidence was shown to turn the case over to the grand jury.

Bond was continued at $500,000. Bailey asked for bond to be reduced. City prosecutor Putt Crull objected to a reduction of bond.

“This was a reckless disregard for the safety of the public,” Crull said. “He killed someone on the street. He could have killed someone in that house.”

Green was still in police custody Wednesday.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet