Weather Forecast

County equipment vandalized
by Reggie Ross, Staff Writer
Jun 26, 2014 | 155 views | 0 0 comments | 33 33 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Lately, Carroll County Beat Five Supervisor Rickie Corley can’t catch a break. Most recently, Corley is dealing with vandals delaying progress on the recently shut down bridge east of Vaiden by vandalizing county equipment.

The discovery was made by county workers Tuesday morning when equipment that was left at the bridge site was vandalized, causing thousands of dollars worth of damages.

According to Corley, a crane, a mini-track hoe, lumber and barricades, used to prevent motorists from crossing the bridge were all damaged.

“This is just senseless,” Corley said. “And this will definitely delay the progress of getting this bridge repaired.”

Therell Turner, deputy with the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department was on the scene Tuesday morning investigating damages, along with Corley, bridge engineers and Beat Five maintenance man Johnny McClain.

According to Corley, the crane was started up and driven across the bridge, pushing and crushing everything in its way. The crane was driven approximately 100 yards past the bridge and crashed in a bar pit near a field of corn. As a result, a pipe burst and a large of amount of oil seeped from the crane. A spray can was used for further vandalism as the vandals sprayed the letters “KKK” on the mini track hoe and along the bridge.

Corley said he wanted the perpetrators prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

“This was a reckless thing to do,” Corley said. “There is no regard for human life when something like this is done. It’s mean spirited, and someone could have been killed. I’d like to see whoever is responsible for this prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Last week, the Carroll County Board of Supervisors voted for emergency closure of the bridge after it was discovered the 56-foot long bridge’s head wall is deteriorating along with the wood that supports the bridge. The bridge allows for a 6,000 pound weight limit and with mounting traffic crossing it, officials felt it was time to close the bridge for repairs. Prior to the damages, two weeks was the given time for its repair.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet