Weather Forecast

Lane Boyette: I’m blessed to be back
by Reggie Ross, Staff Writer
Oct 10, 2013 | 212 views | 0 0 comments | 56 56 recommendations | email to a friend | print
WINONA -- No one was more excited about the start of the 2013 football season than senior Lane Boyette, but three plays into the first game, his season was thought to have been finished.

After a severe kidney injury suffered during the jamboree game in August, Boyette returned to the field in week 6 to take on the Carroll Academy Rebels.

"I was a little nervous to get out there, but I was pumped and ready to go," Boyette said.

In his first official game in his final season for the Stars, Boyette finished with seven tackles from his cornerback position. At wide receiver, he caught a touchdown pass in the third quarter as the Stars defeated the Rebels 38-0 in Carrollton.

In the Stars August 16 jamboree matchup against Clarksdale Lee, Boyette went in for a tackle and was hit in the lower back by a player. What he remembers from that night was only the pain.

"I was really hurting," Boyette said. "It even hurts me to think about how bad it was hurting."

Boyette was taken by ambulance to a Clarksdale hospital and later airlifted to the University Medical Center in Jackson.

Doctors diagnosed Boyette with a lacerated kidney and spleen, according to head coach and father Joe Boyette, was bleeding internally at the Jackson hospital.

"It didn't look good at all for some time," Joe Boyette said. "But one thing I do know is that he didn't give up and said he wanted to come back to the field."

When the Stars celebrated "Meet The Stars" night prior to the football season, Boyette was given a standing ovation when his name was announced. Boyette did not walk but was pushed in a wheelchair by teammate Bailey Lott. At the start of the football season, a matchup between the J.Z. George Jaguars, Boyette said the pain in his back was gone, but the pain in his heart was heavier.

"I really wanted to be on the field," Boyette said. "My teammates and classmates were all very thoughtful to me, and some of them even visited me in the hospital. I remember telling them that I would return."

Last week, doctors told Joe Boyette that the chances of Lane getting injured in football is the same as any other kid on the field and cleared him to return.

"He was jumping and running in the parking lot, and he was ready to play," Joe Boyette said.

Lane Boyette said his prayers were answered, and he couldn't wait to get back to the field.

"I prayed all the time," Boyette said. "When we got to Carrollton, my heart was pumping really fast."

Joe Boyette said he kept a watch on Lane out of the corner of his eye, and when he saw him assist in a few tackles and finally make a couple of solo tackles, he knew he'd be fine.

"Look, Lane's a competitor" Joe Boyette said. "Now as a dad, I was a little nervous, but I had to put that aside."

Boyette and the Winona Christian Stars will return to Winona in their final home game Friday night when they take on DeSoto on Senior Night.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet