According to fire investigator Bryant Long with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department, the Winona Fire Department was dispatched to 297 Highway 51 South around 3:30 Wednesday, October 16. By the time firefighters arrived at the scene the house was completely consumed with fire.
"The house was totally involved when [the Winona Fire Department] got there," Long said. "Fire was coming out of the front windows."
Long said the fire began in the living room near the air conditioning unit.
"We had a witness that said he heard the air conditioner cut on and then what sounded like a gas fireplace lighting up," Long said. "He said he saw what he thought was a fire in a fireplace through the window."
The homeowners were in the backyard with the family pets when the fire started, and Long said when they opened the sliding glass door to go back into the house, smoke "hit them in the face."
Firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze for several hours Wednesday afternoon, "relaying tanker trucks at the fireplug at Bob Black's [Wrecker Service]," Long said.
With the exception of what was in the carport and storage room, which the homeowners were able to save, everything inside the home was a total loss, Long said.
Firefighters returned to the scene Thursday and Friday to extinguish hot spots that had flared back up as the state fire marshal investigated the scene.
"The roof and the walls kept on smoking up," Long said. "They would spray it and it would not go out."
Long said no one was injured in the fire.